I love playing around with recipes to satisfy my sweet tooth and make healthier versions of my favorite desserts. These cookies are one of my favorite treats to bring to a friends, a party, or to keep around for myself ;)
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, soy free, and refined sugar free. The sweetener for these cookies comes from coconut palm sugar. While it is best to limit all added sugars as much as possible, coconut sugar is at least more natural than refined white sugar, and does not effect your body's blood glucose levels as dramatically as regular sugar. It is certainly a better option than artificial sweeteners, which are far from natural and can often cause unfavorable changes in digestion. It's ok to treat ourselves sometimes, and I feel much better about doing so when I trust the ingredients in the food I am making!
- 2 tbsp of grass fed ghee (or grass fed butter), at room temp
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 egg (preferably organic + pasture raised)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1/4-1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (I prefer Enjoy Life brand, as they are allergy friendly and free of soy lecithin and artificial sweeteners)
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper, or lightly grease with coconut oil
- Combine all ingredients besides chocolate chips until combined
- Stir in chocolate ships
- Drop spoonful size balls of dough on baking sheet, flatten lightly with back of spoon
- Bake about 12 minutes, or until cooked through. Be careful not to overbake! Cookies will continue to bake slightly when removed from oven.