Lemon Shortbread Collagen Bars
I love having a batch of these lemon shortbread bars stocked in the freezer for a refreshing, filling, and satisfying snack to grab on the go.
The healthy fats keep me clear minded with sustainable energy, and the collagen provides a boost of amino acids that can help to strengthen hair, skin, nails, and gut health.
Check out this easy recipe below!
Makes 4 large bars or 8 snack size bars.
1 + 1/4 cup cashews
1/4 cup collagen or protein powder (vanilla or unflavored)
2 tbsp coconut sugar
2 tbsp melted coconut oil
1 tbsp brain octane (can sub 1 more tbsp coconut oil, but brain octane is used for mental clarity and energy levels)
1/2 tsp vanilla bean powder (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Pinch of sea salt
Optional: I also like to add the zest of the lemon
1. Add 1/4 cup of cashews to high speed blender or food processor, quickly process until chopped into small pieces. Set aside.
2. Add all other ingredients to blender besides collagen. Blend until completely smooth and well combined (may take a few minutes).
3. Add collagen and quickly blend, then add mixture to chopped cashews and stir to combine. * taste at this point- you can add lemon zest or more lemon juice if you prefer!
4. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Pour mixture into pan, and spread smooth in the middle of the pan. ** this will not fill the whole pan. Keep the mixture in a small enough portion of the pan so that the bars are not too thin.
5. Set in freezer for 1-2 hours, until hard enough to slice. Slice into 4 large bars or 8 smaller bars. Store in freezer.