Easy Paleo Shakshuka
A simple, veggie-packed take on traditional Shakshuka.
Simply put, shakshuka is Middle Eastern inspired dish of eggs cooked in tomato sauce and other veggies. I threw in some different easy veggies and paired mine with potatoes instead of pita or toast for a paleo version!
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 3-4 baby carrots, chopped (or 1 regular carrot)
- 1/4 jalapeño, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup jarred tomato sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 small red potato
- Salt, pepper, paprika, garlic, + onion powder to taste
- 1 tbsp avocado oil, divided
- Microgreens for topping (optional)
1. Cook potatoes in 1/2 tbsp oil oil before starting the shakuka, or cook along side in a separate pan at the same time. Season with salt + pepper.
2. Begin cooking shakuka by sautéing peppers and carrots in 1/2 tbsp avocado oil over medium heat for 3 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic + onion powder.
3. Reduce heat slightly, then stir in tomato sauce.
4. Push veggies aside to form two “nests” for the eggs. Crack eggs into pan and cover pan with a lid.
5. Cook until egg whites are completely set. Serve with potatoes (or toast for non-paleo option). Top with microgreens (optional)