copycat paleo girl scout samoas.
without a doubt, my new favorite cookie!
you guys know i love having some sort of treat around to satisfy my sweet tooth! these ones totally do the trick.
recently, i took a look at the label on some girl scout cookies and honestly i was SCARED. it truly isn’t made with much of anything that is real. tons of fillers and totally processed. nonetheless, they are delicious and i have been wanting to recreate some of my favorite for awhile now!
not only do these taste just like the real girl scout cookies, but they are SO simple! made with real, wholesome ingredients (nothing like the actual girl scout cookies). they are grain free, refined sugar free, and soy free. and, they’re nut free! it can be hard to find a paleo cookie recipe without nuts, but these ones are allergy friendly. always a bonus!
for reference, here are the ingredients in the girl scout version:
Sugar, vegetable oil (palm kernel, palm and soybean oil), enriched flour (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, vitamin B1 [thiamin mononitrate], vitamin B2 [ riboflavin], folic acid), corn syrup, coconut, sweetened condensed milk (milk, sugar), contains 2% percent or less of sorbitol, cocoa, glycerin, invert sugar, cocoa processed with alkali, cornstarch, salt, caramel color, dextrose, natural and artificial flavors, soy lecithin, sorbitan tristearate, leavening (baking soda, monocalcium phosphate), carrageenan
and to compare, here’s all you need for this recipe:
unsweetened shredded coconut
pure maple syrup
dairy free dark chocolate chips
that’s it! couldn’t get much more simple than that. how crazy is the number of ingredients in the original version!?
the ingredients for this recipe are ones i basically always have on hand and that you should be able to find in most grocery stores! they are so, SO delicious. i made two batches over the weekend in no time (and they were also gone in no time). i’ve got a lot of coconut lovers in my life, and they all couldn’t get enough of these!
side note, you could totally just stir in the chocolate chips for these cookies, but i think the chocolate coating and drizzle makes them really taste like the real thing! if you’ve got a bigger crowd, feel free to double the recipe.
makes 12 cookies
1 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (only the finely shredded coconut will work!!)
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup coconut oil
1.5 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
for chocolate coating*:
1/3 cup dairy free chocolate chips
1/4 tsp coconut oil
1. preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. in a large bowl, whisk egg, then stir in all other ingredients (besides chocolate coating ingredients)
3. scoop out about 12 cookies, molding them into circles with you hands to firmly pack the “dough” together”, then gently flatten them. bake for 15 minutes.
4. when cookies are out of the oven, melt chocolate and coconut oil in the microwave. dip one side of each cookie in chocolate, placing cookies back onto the parchment paper chocolate side down. use the remaining chocolate to drizzle the top of each cookie.
5. place in refrigerator until chocolate hardens. store cookies in an airtight container.
*alternatively, you could just stir in 1/4-1/3 cup of chocolate chips. i think the chocolate coating makes them more authentic to the girl scout cookies, though!